Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pacquiao will soon be a lieutenant colonel

MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – Filipino boxing champion and Sarangani Rep. Manny Pacquiao was feted by the Philippine Army in a testimonial parade and review held in its headquarters in Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City on Tuesday.

The Philippine Army honored the boxing superstar for his successful welterweight title defense against “Sugar” Shane Mosley.

"As a reservist in the Philippine Army, Senior Master Sergeant Pacquiao has never failed to inspire his fellow soldiers. His excellent personal discipline and quest for excellence are worthy of emulation," Col. Antonio G. Parlade Jr., Army spokesperson, said.

In a report by the Philippine Star, Parlade said the boxing champion will be promoted to lieutenant colonel by the Philippine Army.

Parlade said the promotion is now being processed. "It will be completed within the year," he added.

Pacquiao was enlisted in the Reserve Force of the Philippine Army with the rank of Sergeant in April 2006.

He currently holds the rank of Sergeant Major. He serves as the commander of the 15th Ready Reserve Division of the Philippine Army.

Lieutenant General Arturo Ortiz, Commanding General of the Philippine Army, personally received the lawmaker inside his office prior to the awarding ceremonies.

"I want every soldier to acquire the exemplary training discipline and dedication of Pacman. We need these attributes as we carry out our mandate to serve the Filipino people," Ortiz, a living Medal for Valor awardee, said.

Ortiz gave Pacquiao a medallion usually given to senior military officers and visiting dignitaries.

Pacquiao was also handed a plaque of recognition for his "outstanding accomplishment which brought lasting honor to the Philippine Army and the Filipino people as a whole."

Pacquiao was also given a mini-statue of Filipino hero Andres Bonifacio to whom Fort Bonifacio is named.

The Filipino champion thanked the Army for the recognition and to the support it gave him in his fights.

Pacquiao also apologized for what he claimed as a frustrating fight against Mosley.

"I know that many were not satisfied (with the fight), many were not happy and I am among them. Anyway he kept on running while I kept on pursuing him and I wasn't able to catch up on him," said Pacquiao of Mosley.

"But I am happy because I brought honor anew to our country and this is not only for me, to me my family but also to all of us, especially to our Philippine Army because I am also an Army[man]. I hope you were also proud of me," he added.

Pacquiao is a recipient of numerous awards and recognition, including the Philippine Legion of Honor with the Degree of Officer given to him during the 73rd anniversary of the Armed Forces of the Philippines last December 21, 2008, and the Outstanding Achievement Medal given last September 4, 2009.-- With a report from Zyann Ambrosio, ABS-CBN News

source: abs-cbnNEWS.com





3,500 Live HD Stream Channels

1 comment:

  1. But I am happy because I brought honor anew to our country and this is not only for me

    Playgroup Singapore

    ReplyDelete